A Dangerous Goods Tanker Driver is responsible for transporting dangerous or explosive goods. They usually work for a chemical or resource company, and can sometimes travel long distances. The driving task might also involve metropolitan areas.
Dangerous Goods Tanker Drivers need to be particularly aware of safety issues related to loading, handling and the separation of dangerous goods. An understanding of emergency response procedures is essential.
Other responsibilities include:
- Assembly, loading and unloading vehicles.
- Performing routine vehicle inspection and maintenance.
- Maintenance of log books and safety inspections.
There are many career opportunities available to Truck Drivers more generally across the Transport and Logistics Industry. Special licensing requirements exist for transporting dangerous goods, and drivers possessing these licenses are often in demand. All drivers must have accurate driving skills, good customer service and communication skills and be willing to comply with regulations and legislation and present themselves professionally.
- There are different licensing requirements for this occupation (for example, Medium Rigid, Heavy Rigid or Heavy Combination and Dangerous Goods). Workers also need to comply with various regulatory requirements (such as Chain of Responsibility Legislation and Fatigue Management Legislation).
- More than 100,000 truck drivers are employed nationally, and Truck Driving is an occupation in skill demand in Australia.
- The Road Transport sector embraces new technologies and is constantly seeking to improve safety, productivity and professionalism.
- Dangerous Goods licencing requirements exist for the transportation of dangerous goods. For more information see Dangerous Goods Authority in your state.
- Certificate III in Driving Operations
- Certificate IV Driving Operations
$31,000 – $100,000 (Median $60,000) depending on type of licence and organisation*.
*Wages will vary according to your level of skill, experience, employer and geographical location.
Dangerous Goods Tanker Driver Career Overview