A Gantry Crane Operator’s main role is lifting and positioning containers safely and efficiently from the wharf onto the ship and also lifting containers from the ship back onto the wharf.
They also must follow the ship’s loading plan to make sure the cargo is loaded in the correct place.
A gantry crane operator may also be required to:
- Perform paperwork duties such as recording and checking cargo on arrival, storage or despatch
- Test the operation of plant before use to ensure safety
- Moor and unmoor ships on arrival and/or departure
- Operate reach stackers, forklifts or top loaders to move containers around the wharf terminal
- Loosen or secure containers to the ship
With port capacity increasing in Australia, demand for skilled portside workers is set to increase. With an increased use of technology at ports, opportunities for developing new skills will also open up.
- Safety is of critical importance to this industry sector.
- There are about 60 port operator businesses in Australia, employing approximately 4,205 people.
- Operators drive the crane by looking down while using both hands and feet to control the crane’s movements.
- Demand within the Ports sector is increasing.
- Certificate III in Stevedoring
$30,000 – $105,000 per year*
*Wages will vary according to your level of skill, experience, employer and geographical location.
Gantry Crane Operator Career Overview