Rail Terminal Operators are responsible for the safe assembly and dismantling and loading and unloading of trains within the terminal.
They mainly perform product transfer operations and supervise the terminals. Physical fitness and self motivation is a must for this job. Rail terminal operators should also possess mechanical aptitude and have a high level of initiative.
Other responsibilities include:
- Operate machinery to move freight between different modes of transport
- Check, assess and maintain equipment and perform basic repairs
- Perform administration duties and maintain records
- Ensure loads comply with regulations and provide customer service
- This job involves shift work with irregular and non-standard hours.
- Rail Terminal Operators may specialise in shunting, train examination or load lifting.
- Certificate III in Transport and Distribution (Rail Infrastructure)
- Certificate IV in Transport and Distribution (Rail Infrastructure)
- Certificate II in Shunting
$35,000 – $50,000 (median – $42,500)*
*Wages will vary according to your level of skill, experience, employer and geographical location.
Rail Terminal Operator Career Overview