A Stevedoring Team Leader is responsible for managinga small group of stevedores and reporting to thestevedoring supervisor.This role usually exists in larger ports where a supervisor may have too manystevedores to effectively supervise at once.
A Stevedoring Team Leader assignswork to their team and ensures the work is done safely and on time. Team Leadersshould have effective communication skills in order to report to their supervisorand strong leadership qualities to lead their team. They should also be fit and becomfortable working with heights.
- Prepare shipping containers for storage or dispatch by stacking, checking and securing the contents
- Use cranes and other equipment to load and unload cargo onto or off vessels
- Complete receipt and delivery operations in the shipyard
- Port corporations are becoming increasingly sophisticated and require highly skilled managers for day-to-day operations.
- There are about 60 port operator businesses in Australia, but more than 95% of volume is handled in 20 ports, and employ approximately 4,205 people.
- Management roles in ports require quite complex decision making based on a wide range of information from regulators, operators, traders and many others.
- Certificate III in Stevedoring
$80,000 – $118,000 (median $99,000)*
*Wages will vary according to your level of skill, experience, employer and geographical location.
Stevedore Team Leader Career Overview