- Impact of cockpit automation and other advances in technology on the existing workforce and flow-on effects for the aviation training sector.
- Retention of baggage handling and ground crew staff is difficult.
- While domestic demand for pilots remains relatively stable, the expanding Asian market will increase competition for pilots between airlines.
- Establishing sustainable business models for regional aviation in a small competitive market.
- International opportunities will increase because of strong growth in passenger and cargo movement in the AsiaPacific region.
- World air cargo is expected to double in the next 20 years. The increasing share of small and light parcels in the Australian freight task will add to demand for the sector’s ground crew workforce.
- Cadet programs could be used for pilots more broadly to meet expected increased demand in the region as the Asian market expands.
- Current infrastructure projects include significant airport developments to cater for increased volumes in airfreight.
- A review of training and skills development for ground operation crew could assist in reducing turnover and raising skills levels and longer-term commitment.