RADIO OPERATOR’S SKILL SETS AND FAST RESCUE CRAFT SKILL SET
The Transport & Logistics ISC has commenced the development of three skill sets for marine radio operations and a skill set for fast rescue operations. It is expected that the skill sets will be completed by March/April 2014 and included in the MAR Training Package.
- Project Overview
- The radio operator’s skill sets are based on units of competency within the TDM07 Training Package and include the following:
- Very high frequency (VHF) radio within Australian Territorial Waters – is consistent with relevant regulations and qualification requirements of the Radiocommunications (Maritime Ship Station – 27 MHz and VHF) Class Licence 2001 made under subsection 132(1) of the Radiocommunications Act 1992.
- VHF and high frequency (HF) radiotelephone – is consistent with the relevant maritime regulations and certification requirements as specified in the Radiocommunications Act 1992 Section 122 (1) (b) (i) and (ii), for the issue of the Marine Radio Operators Certificate of Proficiency, as defined by the National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) Part D.
- VHF radio on a commercial vessel, including using VHF radiotelephone, operating an emergency position indicating beacon (EPIRB) and a search and rescue transponder (SART) – consistent with relevant maritime regulations and certification requirements as specified in the Radiocommunications Act 1992 and required under NSCV Part D Maritime Orders Part 6 Marine Radio Qualifications Issue 5.
The Fast Rescue Craft skill set is based on a TDM07 unit of competency and covers fast rescue craft operations, including maintaining fast rescue craft; preparing fast rescue craft and crew for operations..
- Project Update
10 December 2014
MAR V2.0 Case for Endorsement. The MAR Maritime Training Package Version 2.0 was submitted to the Department of Industry on 25 November 2014 for consideration. MAR V2.0 includes the Radio Operators and Fast Rescue Craft units and Skill Sets.
14 December 2013
The units of competency and skill sets for marine radio operators and fast rescue craft operators have been submitted to the NSSC for consideration. The Case for Endorsement is now available and be found here: MAR V2.0 Case for Endorsement.
7 December 2013
The units of competency and skill sets for marine radio operators are now available for validation and can be found here: (Links removed 21 February 2014).
Comments can be provided by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 31st December 2013. After the 31 December the units of competency and skill sets will undergo an external quality assurance and then be submitted to the NSSC for consideration at their February 2014 meeting.
14 November 2013
The units and skill sets have been developed in close consultation with Australian Maritime Safety Authority and the Australian Communications and Media Authority and include:
- MARC019 Transmit and receive information by marine VHF radio within Australian Territorial Waters
- MARC020 Transmit and receive information by marine radio or telephone
- MARC021 Transmit and receive information by marine VHF radio
Feedback can be provided on the draft units and skill sets by inserting comments or track changes, or by sending comments via email to: email@example.com – by COB 5 December 2013.
24 October 2013
The Transport & Logistics ISC has commenced the development of three skill sets for marine radio operations. The draft units of competency and skill sets will be available on the TISC website throughout November and December 2013 for comment. It is expected that the final draft units and skill sets will be submitted to the NSSC for consideration at their March 2014 meeting.
If you have any questions or queries about this project or would like to be involved in the consultation process, please contact Eddie Hardman: firstname.lastname@example.org